Eleko Beach, a public beach east of the city, is popular for its clean stretch of sandy beach. There are numerous bars and restaurants serving locally caught fare, and a barbeque can be arranged at the beach huts, which can be rented on a daily basis together with deck chairs and stools. Artworks created by7 local artists are also available for purchase at the beach market, where a certain amount of price negotiation is expected.
A 45-minute drive from central Victoria Island, it is located 60km east of the city.
Most taxis know how to get there.
Beach huts are available all week and weekends
- Some price negotiation is expected
- Keep belongings with you
- Pay close attention to swimming safety as the Atlantic Ocean can be unsafe at certain tides
- Ask about safe swimming and watch out for currents
- Take a mix of denominations for purchases
- Buy or bring bottled water
- If not driving, hire a state-registered taxi to take you there and back